Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Dragons, finger puppets and high literary ideals

So the pic of Dragon Lake comes from Aerial Postcards which has gorgeous photo's from the Landsat (like this one) and Hubble too. You have to hope it's that shape cos two dragons had a mid-air collision and one went tumbling to earth, crashing to the core, leaving a very clear dragon-shaped hole behind. That would be cool.

I cleared some of my stuff out my friend Eddie's storage facility yesterday. I had forgotten I am the proud owner of a Captain Caveman finger puppet. I also found things like my garlic press, some frighteningly sharp Spanish knives and a ton of films I forgot I owned (soon, an entire Sunday will slide past while I become one with the sofa and watch them all back to back...). I also unearthed about 40 cd's which is a minor-demon-send as I am bored to tears by all my music, and have been entirely reliant on gifts from people who have good taste in music. I've spent a fairly happy day working my way through stuff I haven't heard in a year :)

I read a piece in one of the Sunday's recently by someone furious at the profusion of iPod's. I thought this odd (actually, it was guilt-inducing as I am dying to buy one...or nice equivalent) but the bulk of her case was the fact that if your iPod can hold 4000 songs, then this means you are using music as wallpaper and not actually enjoying it. Is that a weird opinion? I would LOVE to have 4000 songs at my disposal, given that my mood ricochets all over the place, all the damn time. Sometimes I need Rammstein and then by the time I've crossed the street, I need Mozart. And all points inbetween! She also seemed upset by the idea of people being off in a world of their own. I've never figured out why this is a bad thing. Her stated preference, it should be noted, was for a street party in London near Kings Cross which meant from a mile away she could hear I Will Survive. Gimme my own damn world any day :)

My morning started fairly well with a meeting at Mercat, there to discuss the potential for publishing an anthology called Read by Dawn, to showcase not only the mighty talent of the Andrews, Gav and Stef, but also to involve some other famous bods and put out a timely collection of new horror writing which'll hopefully be launched at our 13th Anniversary festival in 2006. Apologies if you are now short of breath, that was a ridiculously long sentence. Anyway, things suddenly seem quite positive and I am a bit excited by the prospect that something that's lived in my head for so long might finally become a reality (note to all the other things that live in my head - don't get your hopes up...)


My film treat of the week has been going to see a restored print of REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE, a film I'd never seen because I always wanted to see it on the big screen. It's thoroughly dated but a bit fab. And there's the astonishingly beautiful Jimmy Dean looking a little like a young Robert Mitchum from some angles (watch it again, you'll see what I mean).

1 Comments:

Blogger Tha BossMack TopSoil said...

Excellent Writing!

8:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home